RESOURCES: Growth & Wellbeing
1) a source of supply or support
2) a natural feature or phenomenon that enhances the quality of human life
3) a source of information or expertise
4) an ability to meet and handle a situation
Re-Sourcing & Re-membering
Mindfulness and Wellbeing
- Rich Hanson: Just One Thing: Free email that comes once a week. I receive and actively use this resource. Rick has many free and paid offerings around wellbeing and mindfulness.
- Tara Brach offers many free wonderful guided meditations, useful over and over. Check her out guided meditations.
- The Greater Good Science Center: at University of California Berkeley has great articles on the latest research, web courses and an abundance of interesting things. Wander around the site and stumble on a wealth of support and inspiration.
- Jack Kornfield: Guided free meditations. Jack is a prolific author of useful books for anyone curious about meditation and mindfulness.
- Sounds True: Perhaps the largest resources of recordings from the leading teachers from various wisdom traditions. Lectures, full courses, guided practice. Some programs are offered for free.
- Insight Timer: App for your mobile phone. This is my favorite timer. Easy to customize, guided meditations from various wisdom traditions, and more. You can find Tara Brach, Jack Kornfield, and many other teachers from a wide range of traditions. They offer free guided meditations as well as paid for courses. I use this app daily.
- Other meditation Apps for learning and sustaining a meditation: Waking Up; Head Space; Calm.
- Parker Palmer & The Center for Courage and Renewal: His books and work with groups are inspiring.
- Brother David Steindt-Rast & Gratefulness: Many resources offered for free. I taught for many years with Bro. David. He is a world leader in the interfaith dialogue and one of the early teachers to promote gratefulness.
- Meat Chant Stew: An article I wrote and is published on Bro. David’s site Gratefulness
- Poems to Live By: If poems speak to your heart. See more here (this also includes the few poems that were read in our group meetings:
There are way too many to recommend as I love to read. Here are some that were recently or currently on my desk, bedside, or as audio on my phone.
- Relationships & Life:
- Lost Connections: Johann Hari
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman: He has a different style and background than most people I have learned from, and his work has supported my personal relationships.
- The Neurodharma of Love by Rick Hanson
- The Five Longings by David Richo
- How to Be an Adult in Relationships by David Richo
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
- How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Fail, Fail Again, Fail Better by Pema Chödrön
- Coming Closer to Ourselves by Pema Chödrön
- Becoming Wise by Krista Tippet (founder of podcast: On Being)
- Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris
- Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor
- Blue Mind by Wallace J Nichols: If you love water, you will love this book. A joy to read for anyone that is called to water.
- The More Beautiful World by Charles Eisenstein
- Braiding Sweegrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- The Deep History of Ourselves by Joseph LeDoux: This is not a casual read. As there are many illustrations the hard copy is better than audio
- Living and Dying
- A Year to Live by Stephen Levine
- Staring at the Sun: Overcoming the Terror of Death by Irvin Yalom
Centers & Resources for Workshops, Retreats, Personal Exploration
- Tribal Ground: Gestalt Awareness Practice workshops with Christine Price. Chris was married to Dick Price. Dorothy Charles (Relational Gestalt) is her partner in the Tribal Ground trainings. I am adjunct faculty for her 1, 2, and 3 year long trainings.
- Tassajara Zen Mountain Center
- Spirit Rock Insight Meditation Center
- Esalen Institute
- MovingConstellations with Judith Hemmings
- Continuum Movement with Susan Harper
- 5 Rhythms Lucia Horan
- On Being: Krista Tippet is one of my favorite interviewers with remarkable guests
- Tim Ferris: Tim gets some really interesting people on his show… and I have to pick and choose to find the ones that interest me.
- Voices of Esalen: Sam Stern interviews Esalen leaders
- Voices of Esalen: Interview with Steven Harper
There are so many more re-sources, the best is your own deep wisdom… listen. May you know courage, curiosity, and compassion!